Find Inspiration in This Tranquil Maine Kitchen
Bring down-to-earth farmhouse style into your space with these nine finds
There’s something indescribably appealing about Maine residences: an earthy, good natured, no-nonsense sensibility that makes one feel grounded. “The Maine spirit is about rolling up your sleeves, using what you have, and reveling in nature,” writes Annie P. Quigley, a senior editor at Remodelista and author of Remodelista in Maine (Artisan Books, 2022). “It’s evident in cottages and lakeside cabins, Portland townhouses and rural farms…lived in, not decorated; equal parts practical and inspired; and wholly personal…these spaces respect the land and tell the story of the people who inhabit them.” These homes bring comfort, coziness, and tranquility.
Pictured here is the kitchen of an 1840s farmhouse in South Bristol that overlooks the Damariscotta River. The homeowners carefully restored the structure piece-by-piece by sourcing as many period-appropriate details as possible, including the wide-plank board flooring. Following the rustic but updated vibe throughout, the kitchen leans into the farm-house aesthetic with a spacious, double-basin apron-front sink, quarter-sawn white oak countertops, and open shelving as opposed to closed cabinets for storing and displaying cookware. Playing off the traditional elements are more sophisticated touches, such as a marble backsplash, a modern stove and range, and flush-mount lights above the sink. Shiplap painted a tranquil blue on the walls and a white beadboard on the ceiling help to separate the kitchen area from the rest of the room, creating a distinct line where modern and traditional meet. Bring this down-to-earth Maine farmhouse style into your space with these nine editors’ finds.
1. West Slope Kitchen Faucet with Sprayer // rejuvenation.com
2. LED Flush Mount in Plaster White // shop.fogglighting.com
3. Bamboozle Bamboo Compost Bin // food52.com
4. Mediterranean // sherwin-williams.com
5. 36” Gas Range in White, Viking 5 Series // vikingrange.com
6. Leach Pottery Pestle and Mortar // us.toa.st
7. Dalia Rectangular Kitchen Island // williams-sonoma.com
8. White Farmhaus 33” X 18” Farmhouse Apron Kitchen Sink // perigold.com
9. All-Clad ® Stainless Steel Tea Kettle // crateandbarrel.com